Gearbox Records been relatively quiet over the last year while building their new all-analogue vinyl mastering studio in King’s Cross, London. In fact, they only released one album – “Tippin'” by The Jazz Couriers Live in Morecambe 1959 – and we’re delighted that it was voted Best Unearthed Gem 2012 by New York City Jazz Record.
2013 will see them adding exciting new artists and their newly recorded repertoire into our mix of previously unreleased archive gems. Some of this year’s highlights are listed below:
• A simply stunning new vinyl EP tribute to Shirley Horn from legendary jazz vocalist Mark Murphy which we recorded in the US in November 2012.
• They will be partnering with Edition Records, and the initial releases will be “Mirrors” by Kenny Wheeler, Norma Winstone and London Vocal Project and “Birds” by Norwegian saxophonist Marius Neset.
• A brand new hard bop vinyl LP from the award-winning tenor saxophonist Simon Spillett, leading a quartet of British jazz royalty featuring double bassist Alec Dankworth, pianist John Critchinson and drummer Clark Tracey.
• A remarkable vinyl EP from Sacha Siem, a fast rising young singer/songwriter and composer performing her own unique songs with her string quartet.
• There’s a Ronnie Scott and Alan Skidmore BBC Jazz Club vinyl LP – a sensational recording of two of the UK’s finest-ever saxophonists.
• Pete Brown (Cream songwriter) and Mike Horovitz (poet) performing jazz poetry together in 1962 – this is original beatnik stuff and will be released as a limited edition high end vinyl box set for record store day.
• A couple of unreleased Tubby Hayes items for later in the year, a Michael Garrick Sextet with Ian Carr & Don Rendell session and “Alexis Korner introduces Back Door” – the jazz blues band led by master bassist Colin Hodgkinson.
• They are also working on a series of previously unreleased live recordings from Ronnie Scott’s in the 60’s, by Sonny Rollins, Freddie Hubbard, Helen Merrill and many other great artists.
Check out some pics of their new facilities: